With a draw at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park in Colorado, both the hometown Rapids and the visiting Portland Timbers fell further behind in the hunt for positioning in the Western Conference table. For Portland it was another example of their comeback prowess, as they thwarted an early Colorado lead to draw 2-2 thanks to a brace by Will Johnson. For Colorado, it was another example of a late collapse in a season that so far has been defined by failing to maintain momentum for a full 90 minutes.
A 20-yard blast past Portland goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts earned Dillon Powers, the Rapids’ first-round pick in the 2013 SuperDraft, his first career MLS goal in the 18th minute. Powers, receiving a pass from Chris Klute, cut inside from the flank before unleashing his unstoppable shot past the helpless Timbers keeper and giving Colorado an early 1-0 lead.
The Rapids would double their lead almost immediately after the intermission. Tony Cascio, faking a shot, was pulled down by Timbers midfielder Diego Chara and earned Colorado a penalty kick. Stepping up for the shot, Hendry Thomas expertly planted the ball behind Ricketts to give the home team a 2-0 lead.
Then Timbers captain Will Johnson went to work. First the attacker latched on to a pass from unrelated Ryan Johnson in the 55th minute, heading the ball past Rapids keeper Clint Irwin to halve the deficit. Then, a quarter-hour later, he finished off a penalty opportunity after Atiba Harris had clipped David Horst on a clearance attempt and referee Drew Fischer pointed to the spot.
Both sides turned up the heat in the final twenty minutes looking for the go-ahead goal that would yield the full three points for their side, but Irwin and Ricketts clamped down and prevented any further penetration of their goal line. As the final whistle blew, the teams left a point on the table and split the difference — in the process pushing both further from playoff qualification at the conclusion of the season’s first month.
PORTLAND TIMBERS @ COLORADO RAPIDS
Dick’s Sporting Goods Park
March 30, 2013
- 18′ — COL/Dillon Powers (Chris Klute)
- 48′ — COL/Hendry Thomas (penalty kick)
- 55′ — POR/Will Johnson (Ryan Johnson)
- 71′ — POR/Will Johnson (penalty kick)
- COL (4-1-2-1-2): Clint Irwin; Chris Klute, Shane O’Neill, Marvell Wynne, Brian Mullan; Hendry Thomas; Tony Cascio (Danny Mwanga/72′), Nick LaBrocca (Kamani Hill/82′); Dillon Powers; Edson Buddle (Atiba Harris/61′), Deshorn Brown
- POR (4-3-3): Donovan Ricketts; Michael Harrington, David Horst, Andrew Baptiste, Ben Zemanski; Will Johnson, Jack Jewsbury (Rodney Wallace/64′), Diego Chara; Darlington Nagbe (Frederic Piquionne/45′), Ryan Johnson (Kalif Alhassan/88′), Diego Valeri